Archive for the ‘Experiments’ Category
We are learning all about dinosaurs, and what would a theme about dinosaurs be without making a volcano?
First, Hailey mixed up a mountain- we used:
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 tbs cooking oil
She formed a mountain around a small water bottle.
Then she painted it. We didn’t wait for the salt dough to dry before painting, and it worked out fine.
We set up a little area for our dinosaurs. Hailey added a little pond (lower left hand corner), some rocks, trees, dinosaurs, and of course the volcano.
Time to set off the volcano!! In the bottle we put:
red food coloring
Dawn dish soap
2 tbsp of baking soda
Hailey added the vinegar!
Hunter and Hailey playing with the dinosaurs.
Hailey loved it!
Hailey wanted to see a bigger explosion, so when Rich got home, we mixed everything up in a soda bottle and put the top on the bottle and let the gasses built up for a bit.
Here is what happens when you do that:
Back in July Hailey was working on a science journal. She had wanted to do school all summer long, but then soon after this activity she decided she needed some time off and we never came back and finished our study of clouds. Here is what we did back in July:
Hailey filled out her Observing Nature sheet and she took some pictures of the clouds in the sky.
We read this book about clouds.
Then she cut out some pieces to make a poster about the water cycle.
It turned out so cute! (Printables found at The First Grade Parade.)
Then yesterday while Hailey was off of school (and wanted to do a day of homeschooling to see what it would be like) we did this science experiment:
Cut a 2 liter bottle in half. Put warm water in the bottom, we added blue food coloring to pretend it was the ocean, but that is not necessary. In the top of the bottle add ice, then put the top of the bottle into the bottom of the bottle as pictured. After a little while condensation will start to build up and later on in the day we had enough condensation that it actually “rained” a little bit.
This week we did a bunch of Easter crafts and read Easter books and did lots of Easter related stuff. So for our science experiments this week we learned about eggs.
We talked about Humpty Dumpty and Hailey decorated a hard boiled egg to look like Humpty Dumpty.
What would happen to Humpty Dumpty if he fell off a wall?
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall…
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall…
Poor Humpty Dumpty.
We also compared what the inside of a hard boiled egg looked like compared to a raw egg.
The inside of poor Humpty Dumpty.
A raw egg in a frying pan. We heated it up to see what would happen.
Yummy scrambled eggs.
We also watched an Eagle egg hatch on Youtube. If you haven’t seen these videos- they are really amazing to watch (Thanks Aunt Ruth for sending us the link for that!).
In other science related stuff- we did a potato experiment last week. But nothing ever happened.
We balanced a potato in a jar and put water in the jar. We made sure at least 1/4 of the potato was covered by the water. It’s been a week and half and nothing ever happened. Does anyone know what we did wrong?
Last week Hailey learned all about farms. So in addition to doing a bunch of crafts about farm animals we also did a few science experiments about planting and growing.
First we did an experiment to see how much water a seed needs to grow. The cup on the left was a little more than half full of water, the middle cup had just enough water to cover the seeds and the one on the right didn’t have any water. We also put saran wrap over the top of the cups to keep some moisture in.
A few days later we could see something starting to sprout from one of the beans in the cup that had only a small amount of water.
Today (6 days after we started the experiment) several of the beans are starting to sprout in the cup that had a small amount of water. We also seem to be growing some mold. The cup with no water- the beans didn’t do anything. The cup with a lot of water- 2 beans floated to the top but nothing else happened.
We also did an experiment to learn how plants get water through their root system.
We had several carnations and put them in cups with a variety of colors of food coloring mixed with water.
After about 45 minutes we could see the blue starting to show.
About 2 hours later.
The next morning the flower was nice and blue.
We made a pretty bouquet to put on the the table. The blue definitely came out the brightest.
Our last experiment:
We balanced a potato in a jar and put water in the jar. We made sure at least 1/4 of the potato was covered by the water. We started this experiment later in the week and so far nothing has happened. We should start to see some shoots growing out of the bottom sometime soon.